Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Graphite Portrait of Tim Curry as Dr. Frank-N-Furter in Rocky Horror Picture Show



Tim Curry as Dr. Frank-N-Furter in Rocky Horror Picture Show. 11x14 Graphite 2h, HB, 2b, 4b, 6b and 9b on Bristol 2 ply 300 series smooth. 1st time I used this paper and I enjoyed it a lot over the vellum finish.

I absolutely love to draw characters with huge personality.  There are so many great ones to choose from.  Tim Curry is one of my favorite actors.

Some of you may be wondering, "Who is this guy?"  If it's even remotely possible anyone does not know who Dr. Frank-N-Furter is, I'll give you a hint and link.This is a character from cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Now I don't just draw something because it's got personality.  There is always some great memory attached to that character.  For instance the Gollum drawing, great character & memory of first book I read.

I first saw Rocky Horror Picture Show in Orange County, CA at the age of 12.  My mother and my uncle took myself and my sister to see it.  I remember sitting there thinking this was the weirdest, scariest event I'd seen.  People throwing rice, toilet paper, dancing in the aisles, dressed up like the characters.  It was crazy. It would also be the last movie I'd see with my mom.  She passed away from an aneurysm not long after.  So while he may be a strange random thing to draw; good memories and a character full of personality are the inspiration behind it..






And here is a photo of the work in progress.  Thanks for looking!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails